Friday, February 4, 2011

financial freedom

I'm ecstatic to say that I finished reading Dave Ramsey's "Total Money Makeover". It was a fantastic book and I'm really taking the message to heart.

For those of you who know me, I don't handle money very well. Think Becky Bloomwood from "Confessions of a Shopaholic" and that's about how I handle money. I can justify each and every purchase in some way that makes me feel better about spending money I shouldn't.

Ok, so maybe I'm not quite as bad as Becky. I'm fortunate enough to have a good enough head on my shoulders to have NOT gotten any credit cards. Even when the temptation to get one was great. But the problem I have is I like to spend money. I'm good at it. Whether it's my money, someone else's money, or money in my possession that belongs to someone else, I can spend it and I will. Money has always burned a whole in my pocket.

BUT no more! I've decided to take on the "Total Money Makeover" and live like no one else so that later I can live like no one else. If you haven't read this book, you should. Even if you are "good" with money, you should read this book. It will help you build wealth so that you can have financial freedom and security for the rest of your life.

One of my new year's resolutions was to be more financially responsible. I want to pay all of my bills on time so that I don't worry about money the way I used to. Well according to Dave, the first step is to get current on all of my bills.

This is going to be rough because there is one payment I'm two months behind on and another payment I'm one month behind on. But I am determined to be caught up on ALL of my bills by the end of the month. After I get caught up, I can start on Baby Step 1.

Baby Step 1 is to start an emergency fund of $500. (Well, $1,000 if you make more than $20,000 a year - which I don't.) I plan to try to start that a LITTLE bit this month, but I should really have it by the end of March.

After that, you start the Debt Snowball. Since I'm young, I don't have a lot of debt. All of my debt is to family members or in student loans. Today I was figuring out how much I owe and I found that I actually owe about $2,300 LESS than I thought I did in student loans! That really made my day!

What you do is list all debt from smallest to largest. You make minimum payments on all but the smallest debt. You attack that smallest debt with every spare penny you can find until it is completely paid off. Once it's paid off, you use the money you were using for that debt and apply it towards the next one on your list and do the same as you did before. Every spare penny to that debt until it is paid off. Luckily for me, I don't have much so this shouldn't take me too long.

The third step is to complete your emergency fund so that you have enough to cover 3-6 months of expenses should you lose your income. I need to figure out exactly how much that will be, but it should be a few thousand dollars.

The fourth step is to start saving for retirement. You should put 15% into a retirement fund with an interest. I don't know much about investing so I'll have to talk to an expert about how to do that exactly.

The fifth step is saving for college. Whether it's for you or your kids you start putting money towards college educations. I don't have any children and I'm not entirely sure what I want to go to school for or if I want to go at all. Luckily this step is further down the road so I don't need to worry about it just yet.

The sixth step is paying off the mortgage. I don't have one of those yet, but I do want to buy a house. So this step for me will be saving for a down payment on a house. The closer I can get to 100% down the better off I will be.

The seventh and final step is to build weath. Start having fun, investing my money in secure places and start giving it to those less fortunate than me.

I can't wait to get there. I'm so excited about this because I have hope. I'm not too bad off to start with and now I have hope that by the end of 2012 (conservatively) I will be completely debt free and on my way to getting the things I want out of life.

I hope that anyone who reads this will do the same. I haven't won yet, but now I know how to play the game and I WILL win. I will be financially fit and free from debt before I'm 30.

I couldn't be happier!

lindsayallison

PS - ok, maybe I'll be happier when I actually finish, but that's not what's important right now.

2 comments:

  1. LOVE IT! i am really excited about my TMM too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too. John and I are really working at being in better control of our money and trying to find out where it goes.
    The future looks good,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete